Promoting Diversity in the Workplace
“It is my personal intention as president and chief executive officer of Measured Progress to continue the company’s effort to provide equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all employees and applicants for employment.”
Defining Diversity & Inclusion
What it is
Diversity describes a wide spectrum of differences among people. To value diversity is to respect, understand, and appreciate the uniqueness of every employee at Measured Progress. The full scope of diversity extends beyond race and gender; among other characteristics, it includes age, cultural background, education, geography, and personality.
Managing Inclusion is the process of creating and maintaining an environment that naturally enables all participants to contribute to their full potential in pursuit of organizational objectives. To be successful, you not only need a diverse population but you need a means for diverse voices to be heard and to participate in the problem-solving process.
Why it Matters
A Demographic and Business Imperative
- Inclusion and valuing diversity are not just social imperatives—they are competitive advantages. Diversity is the “new normal.”
- Today’s marketplace is a dynamic blend of different cultures, genders, ages, lifestyles, and races.
- Census data confirms that the diversity trend is continuing. While the mix continues to shift, the fact remains that there is a mix. Some of our differences may be invisible, but we live and work in a heterogeneous—not a homogenous—community.
- Innovation results from inclusion, not exclusion; the companies that are able to engage every employee, channeling their creativity and energy, will gain a competitive advantage.
- An inclusive organization is able to attract and retain the best and the brightest from a diverse workforce population.
- Diversity and inclusion enrich the conversation and ultimately produce more innovative solutions and outcomes for our clients.
- Our workforce will be representative of and responsive to the clients and students we serve.
- Our efforts will be focused on initiatives that support a diverse and inclusive work environment with the intent of increasing innovation and promoting meaningful career opportunities for all our employees.