COMMON CORE Testlets
Testlets support formative assessment practices and demonstrate how well students grasp Common Core concepts in a specific cluster or domain. Educators may administer Testlets frequently to quickly analyze results and direct both individual and small-group instruction.
What do Testlets cover?
- Reading Testlets cover the three reading anchor standards: key ideas and details, craft and structure, and integration of knowledge and ideas. Each reading Testlet includes six selected-response items and one constructed-response item.
- Math Testlets each cover one cluster of standards; each cluster has major emphasis in the Common Core standards.
Why use Testlets?
Testlets provide a snapshot of how students are progressing on particular sets of standards and give valuable insight into how to focus instruction. Teachers get immediate feedback on a set of skills without having to create an assessment from scratch. Formative Support Tools included with Testlets help engage students and teachers in the formative assessment process.
Using Testlets, you can:
- Quickly assess a target group of standards in grades 3 through 8 and high school.
- Address a range of cognitive complexity in a short form.
- Deliver assessments in paper-and-pencil format or online.
- Use class time efficiently; each Testlet can be completed in 20 to 30 minutes.