COMMON CORE Testlets
Support Assessment for Learning
Our content experts designed Testlets to help teachers quickly gauge students' understanding of key concepts and skills that have a major emphasis in the Common Core standards. Testlets support formative assessment practices and provide a snapshot of student performance within clusters and domains. Educators may administer Testlets frequently—without having to create an assessment from scratch—to quickly analyze results and better direct both individual and small-group instruction.
- Reading Testlets are passage-based—either literary or informational—and ask students to compare and contrast two passages. Each form covers the three reading anchor standards: key ideas and details, craft and structure, and integration of knowledge and ideas.
- Math Testlets each cover one cluster of standards; each cluster has major emphasis in the Common Core standards. Math Testlets include three selected-response and three short-answer items, and one constructed-response item.
Why use Testlets?
Testlets were uniquely developed "from the ground up" to support Common Core transition. Get a snapshot of how students are progressing on particular sets of standards and gain valuable insight into how to focus instruction.
Using Testlets, you can:
- Quickly assess a target group of standards in grades 3 through 8 and high school.
- Address a range of cognitive complexity in a short form; Testlet items are coded by Depth of Knowledge.
- Deliver assessments in paper-and-pencil format or online.
- Use class time efficiently; each Testlets can be completed in 20 to 30 minutes.