COMMON CORE Formative Item Bank
Create Your Own Classroom Quizzes
Customize your own assessments with items that meet the content expectations and cognitive demands outlined in the Common Core frameworks. The Formative Item Bank includes reading and math items in grades 3 through 8 and high school.
Items may be chosen by content area, grade level, standard, and/or item type. This gives teachers the flexibility they need to gather formative evidence using different item types of varying levels of complexity. Choose from selected-response, short-answer, and constructed-response item types. Selected-response items include distractor rationales; constructed-response items include rubrics and scoring notes.
Why use the Formative Item Bank?
Teachers can choose items to assess a broad range of skills or a particular cluster or standard, giving them information to plan instruction for tomorrow, next week, or next term. Students practice answering questions that require them to understand new content and that focus on standards that pose challenges. Students and teachers get instant feedback on individual progress.
Using the Formative Item Bank, you can:
- Create your own reading or math assessments.
- Assess reading comprehension using items associated with paired reading passages.
- Use built-in rubrics and sample responses to score constructed-response items consistently.
- Review distractor rationales provided with each selected-response item to identify student misconceptions.
- Expose students to new mathematical concepts and practices.
- Expose students to reading selections that assess literacy in history, social studies, science, and technology.