Monitor Student Progress and Growth
Measured Progress COMMON CORE™ Benchmarks monitor students’ understanding of Common Core reading and math standards before they are evaluated on summative assessments in grades 3–8. Unique reading and math forms may be administered up to 4 times a year and each can be completed in just 1 class period. Benchmarks provide instructional feedback about the scope and sequence of a district’s Common Core curriculum and instruction.
What do Benchmarks cover?
- Math Benchmarks cover all domains in mathematics, with a focus on the major standards emphasized at each grade level.
- Reading Benchmarks cover all 3 domains in reading: key ideas and details, craft and structure, and integration of knowledge and ideas. Passages increase in text and reader task complexity throughout the year.
Why use Benchmarks?
Benchmarks provide teachers with a common measure for instructional feedback across grade levels, schools, and districts as part of a comprehensive Common Core assessment program. They follow the recommended scope and sequence outlined in the Measured Progress COMMON CORE™ Standards Pacing Guide.
The Standards Pacing Guide was informed by research conducted by the Charles A. Dana Center at the University of Texas and outlines the standards included in each reading and math Benchmarks form. Standards are grouped to coordinate with intervals of instruction, ensuring that key standards and appropriate text complexity are addressed during the academic year. Benchmarks are paced to follow a logical sequence of instruction that coincides with the learning progressions outlined in college- and career-ready standards.
Get Customized Benchmarks
Download a sample Benchmarks form (Reading, Grade 4, Form B) and related sections of the Standards Pacing Guide.
Using Benchmarks, teachers can:
- Assess students with constructed-response and evidence-based selected-response items, in addition to traditional selected-response items.
- Better determine which Common Core standards can be assessed, and when.
- Address a range of cognitive demand (DOK level) in each form.
- Address multiple sets of standards.
In addition to Benchmarks, our experts can help you use our content to create customized benchmark assessments that align to your pacing and curriculum.